Monster Mania (Goodtimes, 1991). [Category: Commercial]One of the better collections of trailers from science fiction, horror and fantasy films. There's quite a wide selection here, including lots of 50's sci-fi, some classic horror, and several selections from both Ray Harryhausen and Val Lewton. This is a well-put-together, fun tape which gets 10 extra points for throwing in some drive-in ephemera as well.
- The Return of the Fly will really "BUG" you!!
- Gimmick Alert! A great piece of movie theater ephemera announces that free 2 for 1 passes will be given out to anyone who watches the advertised horror show in its entirety and leaves the theater unassisted. And the show is in "Hypnoscope"! "We dare you to live through this!"
- Blast from the Cold War: "Do you know what a radioactive isotope is?" "No, but if it can be loaded, I can fire it!" (from the trailer of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms).
- Ray Harryhausen fans will want to check out a short film about the "Dynamation" process used in The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. Find out how the amazing skeleton swordfight sequence was done.
- The trailer from Invaders from Mars asserts that the biggest menace of the invading Martians is that they are pitting themselves against "mankind's dream to conquer the universe!" Remember, our imperialist goals are good.
- This tape gets 10 extra points for including my all-time favorite snack bar promo: the "Lets All Go to the Lobby" jingle featuring the animated singing snacks! Go ahead and sing along...you remember how it goes.
- And it gets another 5 points for capping it all off with a really strange "horrorific" snack bar promo advertising pizza, another one of my all-time favorites.
- Msties, take note: contains the trailers of Revenge of the Creature, The Black Scorpion, and This Island Earth.